Be A Swan


I do not think I have met anybody in this world who hasn't gotten a little bit nervous prior to giving a presentation. Of course there are 'grades' of nervousness, but even those who seem to be naturals at standing up in front of people and presenting will admit to being a little nervous. I have been presenting for over 25 years; it is my daily job to stand up and talk with audiences, and I have done so thousands of times, from one-on-one to many hundreds in conference venues. I still get nervous; every time! The difference nowadays is that I know what my nerves do TO me, and I know what they do FOR me. I also know, through experience, that when I stand up and present I come across like a swan, and this gives me comfort, enabling me to lose the nerves within seconds.

What do I mean, like a 'Swan'? When you witness this beautiful bird floating gracefully on the surface of the water, you are unaware of the ferocity of the movement going on unseen beneath the water's surface. This is often what is happening during a presentation. Inside, your nerves are making your heart pump ferociously, and you feel jittery (sometimes sickly) inside. But understand that for the majority of people, this is all going on 'under the surface' and cannot be seen by your audience. On the outside, you look as graceful and confident as the swan.

So, take a deep breath, drink a glass of water, smile to your audience and welcome them with confidence, knowing that your nerves are buried deep and kept in check by your calm exterior.

Comments