MA Fine Art 1.1: Research and Practice (My Initial Aims)

I wanted to provide a quick overview of my initial aims for my MA study. I've been giving it a lot of thought over previous months, and I've already started to work on many of these ideas.

My artwork comes from a desire to create a visual biography/memoir of my experiences living in Saudi Arabia. Within this context, my aim is to explore a variety of themes, including:

  • Loneliness
  • Loss
  • Privilege
  • Daily Experience
My working title for the whole series of artwork is 'Expat KSA'.

My work explores the concept of memory, especially the use of images and objects to both define and shape the memories we hold.

My initial project ideas include:
  • Library of Experience (miniature bound books encased within a miniature library, as a metaphor for a library of visual memories within my mind).
  • 'Did I Tell You About...' (a comic book of short stories exploring the daily challenges of living as an expat in Saudi Arabia).
  • My Mother's Things (a photographic exploration of the death of my Mother, exploring the separation and loss from those you love).
  • Through My Father's Eyes (a photographic exploration of the death of my Father).
  • RT-DHA (a photographic journey of the commute between RT and DHA, as a metaphorical exploration of the dangers of the Jubail Highway - an artist book interspersed with images and statistics of road deaths).
  • Men's/Women's Street (drawings of the 2 main streets of the local town of Rahima, contained within an accordion artist book).
  • Signs of Life (a photographic exploration of loneliness).
  • 'When I Was In Singapore' (an artist book collection of objects from a journey between Bangkok and Singapore, as an exploration of expat travel privilege).
In the future, I wish to continue the theme of the use of objects as memories, using the collected objects from my travels over many years, creating a series of artist books.

The image accompanying this post is a photographic example from the series 'Signs of Life'.



Comments